Sheneil’s Healing Chicken Noodle Soup
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
¾ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
1 cup diced carrot
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken bone broth (or 2 cups bone broth plus 2 cups regular chicken broth)
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz brown rice noodles (we like to use fusilli)
½ tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh rosemary)
1 tsp dried thyme (or 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves)
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
2 cups packed roughly chopped kale
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 can full-fat coconut milk (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large pot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, 5-7 min. Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the broth, chicken, noodles, rosemary, thyme, turmeric and bay leaves and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through and can be easily shredded, about 15 min.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and change heat to medium under the soup. Cut or shred chicken and add back into soup, along with kale, coconut milk, and lemon juice.
- Cook until the kale is just wilted. Remove and discard bay leaves. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired.